The Hazards of Holiday Decorations | SERVPRO® of Gillette, Sheridan
Believe it or not, the holiday season is nearly upon us once more! Cookies, presents, twinkly lights and traditions with friends and family are all what makes this time of year so special.
Unfortunately, while this season is wonderful, there is also an uptick in the number of house fires across the United States.
Decorations vs. Fires
Be careful about where you place your holiday decorations! Decorations that catch fire are responsible for about 790 structural fires every year.
Hanging stockings over the fireplace or chimney is a classic holiday tradition, but be careful not to hang them too low over the flames. Your precious memories may catch fire and start a house fire.
If a real tree is a necessity in your family traditions, keep it watered every day in order to prevent excess drying and needle drop. If needles do start to fall, make sure to sweep or vacuum around the tree daily, and unplug all lights before retiring for the night.
Other Fire Hazards
Did you know that December is the month with the highest number of candle-related house fires? Candles are responsible for 20 new home fires every day in the United States! Never leave a lit candle unattended, and always make sure to snuff it out before going to bed.
Who doesn’t love outdoor lights on houses or in your yard? Before you start setting up, make sure that decorations are tagged for outdoor use so that they can easily withstand the elements without deteriorating. Also be careful not to pierce the cords with nails or anything else while hanging them up!
Once you are done decorating and admiring your handiwork, do a final check of your smoke detectors to make sure they are ready to work for you. Also refresh your family’s escape route and meeting location if you need to make a hasty exit from your home.
While you are out celebrating the season at the Festival of Lights or are getting cozy with a cup of hot cocoa at Festival of lights, you can rest easy knowing that your house will stay fire-safe.